Trumbull, CT 06611
Under the supervision of the Chief Business Development Officer, the Senior Proposal Writer will interact with various business areas, levels of management and vendors to develop proposals and presentations from early conception to production and delivery. The proposal writer possesses a proactive approach to all projects and an ability to work independently without close oversight from management – must be a proven self-starter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Manage the RFP response process to meet all expectations, actions, and timelines
· Meet with/interview various department managers and subject matter experts to collect internal data on existing processes and procedures
· Work with Chief Business Development Officer and Executive Leadership Team to develop proposal win themes and reflect them throughout the proposal
· Conduct research in support of marketing efforts and proposal development
· Develop, mentor and manage per diem contract staff to draft proposal content, as needed.
· Develop, edit, and format proposal documents so that they are accurate, well-written, and persuasive
· Create content, customize existing content and design slides for a variety of presentations (infographics, webinars, etc.)
· Collate and synthesize information into Excel and Word tables and templates in addition to working policy documents to be easily included in RFP responses
· Create and maintain a centralized indexed knowledge base populated with proposal responses to easily access for frequent RFP response development
· Respond to proposal follow-up, complete ad-hoc requests, and participate in project initiatives
· Continuously improve our writing and review process through best practices
· Assist Business Development initiatives as needed on a variety projects which may include content, direct marketing, presentations, contact network development, etc.
· Effectively communicate across departments to obtain required feedback for proposal writing
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Professional Writing, Communications or related field of study. Master’s degree preferred. 3-5 years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
· Candidates selected for interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
· Understanding of the proposal process
· Proposal writing experience in business development, transportation and/or healthcare organizations preferred
· Experience writing proposals and presentations for state government and municipal RFPs preferred
· 3-5 years’ experience responding to RFIs, RFPs, and unsolicited bids preferred
· Background or education in marketing and editorial support a plus
· Excellent writing and communication skills
· Good working knowledge of document production using Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and Publisher
· Experience in creating document libraries
· Ability to work under deadline pressures as part of a cohesive team is essential
· Some travel outside of Connecticut may be required for this position
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write/respond to RFP’s/RFI’s, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to respond to common inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to Senior Management, public groups and/or Board of Directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The ability to understand advanced computer skills and be proficient in the advanced knowledge of software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Paint, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio, Adobe Acrobat and InDesign. Basic mapping skills a plus.
Scope of Responsibilities
Decisions are significant and have a major impact on the organization. Independent, self-starting action is required. Responsibilities include establishment of organizational strategic and short-range plans. Objectives are within scope of organization-wide policies and common goals. Consults with supervisor on specific matters only where clarification, interpretation, or exception to organization policy may be required.
Internal and external relationships involve all components of the organization structure. The incumbent must be able to communicate, in a critical environment, to specialized, technical, or professional advisors, whereby decisions are made at the highest level. .
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: APMP certification a plus but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasional overnight travel may be required.
CTS offers a competitive, performance based, salary and fringe benefits program. CTS is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, on-the-job injury, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that employers are prohibited by law from considering. Any discriminatory action can be a cause for disciplinary action.